Monday, February 04, 2008

Return to Me

Those of you who have read my books know that missing persons cases are of particular interest to me. They've been a part of the series from Goodnight, Irene to Kidnapped. I've known people whose family members have been missing. Some still wait. It's a particular kind of hell.

One of the best stories I've seen on this subject is "Return to Me," by Stacey Chase, which ran in yesterday's Boston Globe Sunday magazine. Like most articles about the missing, most of its focus is on missing children. (I am all for making every effort to find missing children, who are so vulnerable. I just wish missing adult cases mattered more to us — the National Center for Missing Adults also needs your help.) Chase's article is well worth reading, and I hope you'll take the time to do so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, this article is excellent. Stacey Chase's story was very moving and it is obvious that she did her research. Actually, she nailed it, in terms of what families truly live with.

My own brother has been missing for 30 years (this Oct.), so I have dealt with these issues most of my life. (If you'd like, you can see his case at http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1197dmar.html )

Because of this, it was good to see someone approach the story from a very real perspective (truly that of the families), rather than detached outrage over something they themselves have not experienced. She clearly listened to families and observed their experiences, giving an accurate portrayal of what it is like for us. We never stop searching, never stop hoping, while at the same time trying desperately to somehow balance that with the lives we've been blessed with.

You are 100% correct about missing adults needing more attention, too.

I just found your blog yesterday and I look forward to reading it more.

~Laura