Thursday, June 29, 2006

Why I said the F-word during dinner last night

Most evenings, Tim and I eat late -- a product, mostly, of accomodating mealtimes to his evening teaching schedule.

So last night, we're watching Law and Order, and most of my anticipation is to see what Keir Dullea looks like these days -- I'm wondering how the artifical aging of "Dave" in 1968's 2001: A Space Odyssey matches up with time's handiwork.

This is why I am taken completely by surprise when I learn, during a commercial break, that next fall, there will be a television show that has the same title as my new book. Spontaneously, out comes the most famous of all F-words.

And here I thought I'd just have to deal with freakishly devoted Robert Louis Stevenson fans.

I will live with it. But after what happened with Bones, and the bizarre circumstance of a screenwriter retitling a script for Nine as Bloodlines, I'm really starting to wonder....

9 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Titles suck.

Anyone can steal them, imitate them, whatever.

Maybe a bunch of people will like the show, and thinking your book is tied to it, buy the book and become devoted fans? One can hope, right?

Jan Burke said...

Kent, Tim assures me that use of the F-word is more prevalent on the ice, and is used in giving advice to the opposing players. Can this be true?

(Remembering that the first time I saw a pro game, a gentleman in the stands was knocked out cold by a puck shot into the stands during the team warm-up. The advice to the injured man from the people sitting just behind me? "Keep your f--king eyes open!")

Jan Burke said...

Sandra, my hope at this point is that the show isn't ludicrous. Which is wrong thinking on my part, because that would probably make it a huge hit.

Anonymous said...

Jan,

I just found that Lily Shaara, one of THE Shaaras, is publishing a novel called Every Secret Thing. Granted, the title is not original to me. It was used on a well-received memoir. And No Good Deeds isn't original, either. (Well, the "s" is original.)

But as someone who published In Big Trouble the same month that Dave Barry published Big Trouble, I know that this is all survivable.

Jan Burke said...

Laura, I will reflect on these things. And admit that I had to Google "Shaara." Yeah, felt like an idiot, but I did admit early on that I don't get out much.

GeekyDad said...

Talking about Fox's new show? Most likely it won't even last a season. Fox and drama shows..heck anything not instant cash cow doesn't really stay on. Just how Fox is. Why they always have had the Reality tv shows to put Jerry Springer to shame.

So I wouldn't really worry about it. But, from what I hear it's going to be a pretty wierd, strange tv show. I don't know. I don't watch FOX so I won't be watching.

Not since they got rid of Tru Calling. Just don't sweat it.

Jan Burke said...

Okay, Aaron. Good advice in any case!

GeekyDad said...

There is also 15 tv shows with cop's and such themes on tv. That is Basic and Extended and Movie channels *Showtime and HBO*. So the likely hood of it surviving is slim. Especially, sincei t's on FOX. If it was FX I'd say something different.

Jan Burke said...

So what do you like to watch on FX, Aaron?