I'll be walking in the Step Out to Fight Diabetes event in San Diego at 9:00 AM on Sunday, October 28 at Ingram Plaza - Liberty Station, which is located at 2750 Dewey Road, San Diego, CA 92106.
View Larger Map
This event raises money to support the important work of the American Diabetes Association.
Some quick facts about diabetes:
- There is currently no cure for diabetes.
- 20.8 million children and adults in the United States, or 7% of the population, have diabetes.
- About 6 million of these people are unaware they have the disease.
- 240 million people worldwide are living with diabetes. Within 20 years, this number is expected to grow to 380 million.
- Many doctors consider diabetes to be the #1 health crisis in the U.S..
- Diabetes disables and kills. Uncontrolled, diabetes can lead to heart attack, stroke, blindness, amputation, inability to fight infection and more.
- Diabetes can strike anyone of any age, weight, or ethnicity.
- In addition to the 20.8 million with diabetes, 54 million Americans have pre-diabetes, which must be treated as soon as possible to prevent this condition from leading to diabetes. Over time, the elevated blood glucose levels of pre-diabetes can also cause damage to the body, especially to the heart and circulatory system. Almost all people who develop Type 2 diabetes first have pre-diabetes.
If you haven't had your fasting blood glucose tested within the past year, please call your doctor today to make an appointment to do so.
And please generously support the work of the ADA -- look for a Step Out event in your area.